There are 303 place-name stones within the city walls. They have been realized at different times, using different materials and lettering. 197 of them consist of a simple, Carrara marble plate stone, 2/3 cm in depth (of different quality: c or p white, veined). Dimensions range from 68x36 up to 78x48, they are anchored to the wall through braces – glued or built in facades. 80 of them consist of a marble plate stone framed in bardiglio marble; some others in Piazza Grande and Via del Saracino are sandstone and are currently unreadable due to atmospheric agents.
At least 5 different lettering fonts have been used and one of them, the B model, refers to some engravings on some stones in the Priori’s palace, dating back to 15th century,
An exact dating, even through the photographical archive of La Chimera association, is yet not possible. Some early century images show how a place name stone in the Corso Italia is exactly like the current white marble stone plates, with extended dimensions, geometrical engravings or darker frame (Corso Italia, Guillichini Palace, plate stone n. 132 – photo of 1931-1935)
Another picture from 1955 shows the early use of bardiglio framed plate stones. Overall, the headstones are in a poor state of repair, many are broken or fractured. Most of them have been incorporated in successive layers of plaster on the façade and generally their presence was not taken into account when placing traffic signs, commercial lighting fixtures or neighborhoods flags. The result is a blurred and degraded picture showing little care and poor maintenance of the basic elements of the place identity.
URBAN SCENOGRAPHY & SUSTAINABILITY